I can’t imagine the panic of my pets being lost… the agony of putting up signs and scouring the neighborhood and calling out my pets’ name in a fluster. Thankfully, I won’t have too… I have them micro-chipped. Why? Because micro chipping has come a long way since it was developed in the 1980’s. At first, only certain scanners could identify certain microchips. Today, there are universal scanners at every veterinary clinic and animal shelter worldwide.
The benefits of micro chipping
- When a lost pet is found… the first thing any shelter or veterinary clinic will do is scan the pet for a microchip
- A microchip holds the pet owner’s contact information and the owner can be contacted within minutes of finding the pet
- A micro chip can’t fall off like a collar or tags… although it can move from its original position, so the vet or shelter will scan the entire pet
- Micro chipping is safe for pets… only a small percentage of problems have been reported due to micro chipping
- Since 1980, Home Again (one of the larger micro chipping companies) claims more than 600,000 lost pets have been reunited with their owners